Friday, December 17, 2010

Yummy New Recipies for a Quick Dinner

My favorite recipes are ones that are
a) YUMMY,
b) QUICK, and
c) reasonably HEALTHY ( I'm not a lifetime Weight Watcher member for nothing;)!!)

So last night I decided to cook some more Turkey Soup as I love soup and the weather started turning colder. Here is what I did...

1/2 Ham Stock (frozen from when I boiled my ham bone) and 1/2 water - About 6-8 cups of liquid
Left over Turkey (can add ham or chicken) - About 2 cups
1 can of diced tomatoes in olive oil ( I usually add 1 can of rotel, but much to my dismay, I was OUT!)
About 1 1/2-2 cups mixed  frozen veggies
some herbs - basil, thyme, parsley, crushed red pepper , etc
I added some Mexican hot sauce, too (optional - depending on how spicy you like your soup)

I added all ingredients and brought to a boil and let it boil for about 15+ minutes and then just let it simmer for an hour. Of course I like my soup the next day to let all the flavor mix deliciously! Oh my, this soup is the best ever!!! Yum! Other than the - probably - high fat content from the ham stock, I would say this is a healthy meal!

Also, I made some mac and cheese with whole wheat pasta and added frozen spinach and broccoli and canned salmon. I threw in some dill - which worked very well with the salmon. Just boil the frozen veggies (any veggies will do) with the pasta and then mix in your cheese sauce and fish (tuna would work as well). Wow- This was yummy! I had cheese sauce from a box, but the recipe called for a can of condensed cheddar soup and milk. That way you can use reduced fat ingredients and save yourself (and your family) the extra, un-needed calories.

Because I coudn't decide what to cook for dinner, I made both (but only ate one!!). It took no time at all and both are a hit!

1 comment:

  1. Great post,this is very intertesting information, Thanks for sharing....!
    order online food

    ReplyDelete